Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Hipsters

I can't stand hipsters.  They're annoyingly pretentious.  They spend far too much time and money trying to look carelessly fashionable.  They drink Pabst and say it's great.  In large groups (and they're always in large groups) they suck all of the life force out of a room.  They get in the way and glare at you as you try to excuse yourself past.

But it seems that I share a lot of common interests with hipsters, cause I keep running into them.  Austin is chock full of them on a normal weekend, but go there during SXSW and they're covering every available surface.  But I love SXSW.  Music everywhere, free beer if you're lucky, all the great restaurants and trailers to eat at...it's one of my favorite trips we take.

Which begs the question...am I, in fact, a hipster?  Have I become the thing I hate?

I'm still holding on to the "no" category for that.  I don't think I'm tattooed enough.  Or pierced enough.  I don't have dreads, and my hair's all one natural color (not *my* natural color, but still, one that occurs in nature).  I'm sure everyone would agree that my usual style definitely looks careless...but not fashionable.

Ah well, the paradoxes of life.

1 comment:

  1. You can't be a hipster. I like you and don't like hipsters.

    ReplyDelete