Friday, February 12, 2010

Musings on a Wintry Night

The record snowfall here yesterday led to a work from home day for me today.  The driveway and streets in the neighborhood looked treacherous, and since I could, I did :)  It's nice to be able to work from your recliner in your pjs all day.

We saw a dad slowly driving a 4-wheeler pulling his kid on a sled down the street, and the neighbor kids scooped up all the snow off their driveway and yard and built a snow fort.  I think they were out there all. day. long.  I'm too old for such frivolity, but I'm glad they had a good time with their snow day.

We got enough snow after 9pm that Patrick had to go outside with the broom this morning and sweep the snow off the satellite dish again so we could watch tv.

This snowstorm was the most snow in a winter we've had since before I was born.  It's a *lot* of snow for Dallas.

The good news about being housebound is that I'm having a massive craving for chocolatey things coated in frosting and I don't have all the necessary ingredients on hand.  Still, I think that these babies will be in my near future nonetheless (thanks for telling me about them, Heather!). 

Car bombs are the best drink ever and combine all of my favorite things into one.  It's one of the few things I've introduced my husband to rather than the other way around.  SK's statement about being either greeted with a drink and a smile or a black eye is true...sure, we know we're safe ordering one in Dallas, but we tread carefully when venturing to new pubs in Boston or New York or anywhere where we are greeted with Irish accents.  Basically I whip out my Texan drawl and describe the drink and they either say oh, yes, a car bomb and appreciate the circumspection or they say oh, yes, a peacemaker or something like that.  Either way, I get the drink I want and no black eyes or hard feelings are handed out with it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment