Thursday, January 7, 2010

)#%(*&! Cold

Well, the Arctic blast came through as promised. With some drizzle apparently, cause my car was covered with a decently thick sheet of ice. My doors were freaking frozen shut. And Patrick was happily snoozing away while I was out freezing because he didn't have to go in until late today. I finally managed to get the passenger door open, and had to crawl across and push the driver door open from the inside.

Then the ice on the windshield laughed at my ice scraper. Bitch. So I sat with the defroster running for 10 minutes until it melted enough to scrape off.

Fortunately that was the end of my adventures for the day. The drive in was uneventful and the day at work was reasonably calm. It's just bitter bitter cold out there and the wind is gusting like crazy.

The split pea soup turned out fabulously. And since you begged, here's the recipe:

1 lb split peas
1 onion
1 lb carrots
1 tbsp olive oil
9oz ham lunchmeat (or whatever kind of ham you have...I've also used the bits and pieces leftover from a Honeybaked ham in this)
8 cups chicken broth
garlic powder
Penzey's shallot pepper
1/2 c fat free half and half (you could go crazy and use cream or regular half and half, but ff is what I had)

Sautee the onions in the olive oil. Then add the carrots and let them cook a few mins. Then dump in the peas, broth, and spices. I could tell you how much of the spices, but then I'd have to kill you. Actually, I have no idea how much I used. Until it looked right. Maybe a teaspoon apiece? Start there and adjust to your liking. Simmer on medium for an hour or so until the peas are done. Stir in the half and half and let it come back up to temp and then it's done.

Makes 8ish servings, depending on how big your servings are. It was enough for 2 bowls apiece for 3 adults and I've got enough for lunch tomorrow. Scratch that. Not enough for lunch tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment